Is a manufacturer’s license required to acquire and mix binary targets?
If the individual purchasing the binary targets is engaged in the business of manufacturing explosives, i.e., mixes and uses them in the operation of a commercial business (for example, operating a quarry, or providing the service of removing stumps or boulders from a farm field), then a manufacturer’s license is required.
An individual farmer who merely wishes to mix the binary targets to remove obstacles from his field and provides no other outside would not need a manufacturer’s license.
Please note, however; A Federal explosives license or permit would be required to obtain any explosives device, such as detonators, used to initiate the mixed binary targets. In addition, transportation of any explosive material, including mixed binary targets, without a Federal license or permit is prohibited.
[27 CFR 555.11: Definition of “manufacturer”; 27 CFR 555.26, 555.414(b)]
Note: A person who combines binary targets for non-commercial purposes is exempt from licensing requirements under Federal law.
Do not use on Federal land when a Special Fire Order is in effect
When mixed and used correctly, Tannerite® brand targets should not initiate a fire. However, because of other reactive targets made with inferior raw materials that have been reported to start fires, the USFS has declared that all reactive rifle targets are forbidden on federal land when a Special Fire Order is in place. This normally happens in the Summer when the roads are posted with large orange signs stating that chainsaw use/campfires/etc are forbidden, although some dry parts of the Country have these Special Orders throughout the year. Please respect local land-use regulations.
*Check and follow all state, county, and/or local laws and regulations for any applicable permit or license requirements, or other potential restrictions and conditions in your area, for possession and use of Tannerite® brand targets in unmixed and mixed forms.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE ON A PLANE IN EITHER MIXED OR UNMIXED FORM!
FBI Reactive Target Awareness
Binary Reactive Target Patent
- Treat all binary targets with respect. Misuse of binary targets could result in serious injuries or death
- To ensure a homogeneous composition, be sure to use the mixing container that’s included with every Tannerite® brand binary rifle target purchase and shake well to achieve uniform mixing
- Place ¼, ½, and 1 lb targets down range at least 100 yards before shooting. Place 2 lb targets 200 yards down range before shooting.
- We recommend elevating the target above the ground to reduce the amount of flying debris
- Remember that the legal use of these targets is as a shot indicator only
- Mix the targets at the range and shoot them immediately. Do not transport, store, or sell the mixed composition unless you have the appropriate explosives endorsements
- Always wear ear and eye protection
- Be sure to use in a remote area only and respect the adjoining property owner’s right to tranquility
- Do not use target in locations where a general fire order is in effect and do not use target near combustible materials
- As always, respect local noise ordinances and always use Tannerite® Brand Binary Rifle Targets as directed by the manufacturer
- Please store at room temperature in a dry location
- Never place these targets inside, on top of, or under any metal, rock, or other surfaces that could produce flying debris or sparks, or within another object. This is dangerous and constitutes improper use of the product.